As a Pastry Chef, you are responsible for operating the pastry section of the kitchen while working closely with the Operations manager.
A Pastry will also be required to plan production and develop seasonal offerings. Also needs to think out of the box and be very creative.
Maintaining a very high standard As the head of the pastry department, a pastry needs both technical skills as well as managerial skills.
You will need to be able to execute various levels of baking skills and have the ability to introduce new techniques for baking and decoration.
Be create and execute your own and new recipes as well as longstanding favorites of a certain restaurant or bakery. Effective communication is also an important trait.
You will need to communicate complicated recipes and techniques to the staff. Responsible to create high quality pastry dishes with the standard recipes and presentations in order to maintain quality standards and consistency of product.
Also assist in production and maintenance of par stocks of pastry and dessert with proper rotation of products and maintain highest cleanliness and hygiene standard in the pastry and bakery section.
Pastry Chef Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Manages all day-to-day operations of the pastry and bakery section of the kitchen.
2. Prepare a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, Pies, bread, pastries sweet and savoury etc. Following traditional and modern recipes.
3. Able to produce all baked goods including but not limited to artisan breads and rolls, muffins, laminated Danish, laminated croissants and doughnuts etc.
4. Able to develop, designs, or creates new ideas and items for Pastry Kitchen.
5. Create new and exciting desserts and pastries to renew menus and engage the interest of customers 6. Ensure excellent quality throughout their offerings.
7. Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
8. Decorate pastries and desserts using different types of icings, toppings etc. And ensure the food presentation will be beautiful, exciting, modern and fresh.
9. Coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation. 10. Supervise and coordinate all pastry and dessert preparation and presentation.
11. Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met. 12. Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
13. Monitor stocks for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar etc. And make appropriate orders within budget. 14. Check quality of material and condition of equipment and devices used for cooking.
15. Report all equipment problems and maintenance issues, known safety hazards, or unsafe practices and procedures to supervisor immediately.
16. Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement. 17. Must possess a positive attitude and have the ability to work with a variety of people and in cooperation with co-workers efficiently and effectively 18.
Able to recognize superior quality products, presentations and Flavors. 19. Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
20. Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions. 21. Maintains cleanliness and organization in all work areas.
22. Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members. 23. Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
24. Ensure compliance with food hygiene and Health and Safety standards. 25. Guide and motivate pastry assistants and bakers to work more efficiently.
26. Maintain a lean and orderly cooking station and adhere to health and safety standards. 27. Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are met for Pastry Team.
Prerequisites : Good knowledge of different types of pastry, dessert, cake decorating. Posse s professional disposition with good communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to work a variety of shifts including weekends, days, afternoons and evenings. Positive attitude and Good communication skills.
Be able to communicate in English. Have a valid Passport. Education : High school diploma or 3 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area or 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major.
experience : Minimum of 4 years of experience in pastry cooking or Pastry Chef experience with high volume food production