Job Summary and Purpose
Key Accountabilities :
Cargo Management and compliance :
1. Ensure that the vessels are operated in a manner which is safe, reliable and economical and meets the highest industry standards.
This shall ensure efficiency in cargo management.
2. Drive compliance with international, Flag State, legal requirements and all company policies related to shipping operations, safety of navigation and Marine personnel at all times.
The Marine Operations Superintendent shall also ensure complete compliance with, port / terminals requirements, oil / gas majors and ship vetting systems.
3. Ensure that the trading certification of vessels is valid and avoid failure due to non-compliance.
4. Supervises ESTS equipment and acts as the site representive during ESTS operations.
Vetting of Vessels :
5. Ensure that vessels in the fleet are vetted successfully by arranging timely SIRE inspections, giving prompt responses to any observations raised, initiate remedial actions and identify and mitigate gaps in policies and procedures.
6. Manage the entry of details from the VPQ into the SIRE system as well as maintain the relevant vessels particulars data not limited to TMSA and Q88 records.
Audits and Ship Inspections :
7. Conduct ship inspections on a regular basis to ensure effective ship management during calls to Ras Laffan or sailing visit.
In these visits, he / she shall carry out internal audits not limited to navigational, galley and cargo audits.
8. Conduct safety / security / environmental and other SHEQ internal audits as applicable.
9. Supervise the close-out of audits and inspections of ships in coordination with the SHEQ Division.
Safety Management System :
10. Maintain the Safety Management System (SMS) of the organization and consistently focus on improving the quality, efficiency of procedures and accuracy.
11. Brief new senior officers before they join the vessels with regards to the Safety Management System, company policies, vessel operations and specific charterers’ requirements.
Monitor Communication :
12. Confirm owned vessels managed by third party is operated efficiently in line with Master Service agreement, Owners instructions, charterer’s instruction and TCP.
Voyage Planning :
13. Supervise the voyage planning and performance process for the vessels managed by NSQL to ensure compliance with the requirements of the charterer.
Help the organization to avoid performance related claims and provide support in challenging the claims in case they are raised.
Terminal Approval :
14. Participate actively. ship shore interface and compatibly studies Liaise with all related parties such as agents, charterers and terminals and provide all relevant information for the Master to assess the suitability of the berth.
15. Carry out in-house mooring analysis Studies.
Incident investigations and Risk Assessment :
16. Lead investigations into any incidents that may occur and ensure that incidents are successfully closed out in a timely manner in coordination with the SHEQ Division.
17. Conduct safety risk assessment and environmental impact assessment for vessel operations in l line with Maritime standard / best industry practice.
Emergency Response Plan :
18. Perform duties and functions as per the Emergency Response Plan and as directed by the Incident Commander.
Staff Related Functions :
19. Works with Operations Manager and / or Marine Personnel Manager on matters concerning suitability of personnel for promotion, possible secondment or career development and undertake assessments of candidates for promotion.
20. Supervises ship staff conduct, performance and development and works with Marine Personnel Manager.
21. Assist MPD in recruiting process for the sea going staff by participating in new entry staff interviews
22. Provides an effective working link on a day-to-day basis between NSQL Management and ship’s staff. Also provides the necessary marine supervision and improvements on all shipping matter as required.
Ensures the effective implementation of quality improvement projects and enhance business processes associated with operational issues on board and ashore.
Undertakes ships’ visits as determined by Operations Managers.
Generic Accountabilities :
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE) :
23. Adhere to all relevant SHEQ policies, procedures, instructions and controls so that NAKILAT provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers and the public.
Policies, Systems, Processes & Procedures :
24. Implement approved policies, processes and procedures, and provide instructions vessels to ensure their proper implementation.
25. Act as an intermediary between the charterers and STASCO when there is a need to protect the interests of the organization and optimize costs wherever necessary.
26. Ensure that the reputation of the organization is safeguarded. The person in this position shall take responsibility to ensure that the organization faces minimum amount of exposure to environmental pollution.
27. Recognizes Sub-standard operation performance and initiate an investigation to evaluate alternative system, equipment, contractors and methods for beneficial use in place of obsolete unreliable or less efficient systems or equipment on equipment or company operated ships
28. Act as a representative of the organization in industry specific meetings.
29. Perform any other related duties as instructed by the Operations Manager.
Key Result Areas
Interactions and Working RelationshipsInternal :
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Experience of working with personnel from different cultures (ship owners and ship crews)
Job Specific Skills :