Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
College / Department Profile
Qatar University Profile :
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility.
This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
College Profile :
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition.
The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language.
In Fall 2013, CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences.
Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas.
Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million / project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs.
As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-
active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities1.Teach graduate and undergraduate courses in areas such as of animal ecology, desert biology, and animal biodiversity.
2.Supervise UG (Senior projects) and graduate thesis research (M.Sc. and PhD) in the area of expertise3.Write research proposals and initiate high quality research in the area of expertise4.
Contribute to various committees at the Dept, College, and University levels5.Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications 6.
Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
1.Doctorate (PhD) degree in the area of Animal Ecology and Biology with preferred specialty in vertebrates ecology or relevant fields from a recognized university.
2.A record of distinguished scholarship (peer reviewed publication record), grant-funded research, and graduate student mentorship in the last 5 years.
3.A minimum teaching experience of 5 years at university level, graduate teaching experience is preferred 4.Familiar with Educational technologies used in higher education sector (e.
g. BlackBoard)5.Willingness to work with teams 6.Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds7.Excellent written and oral communication skills
Non Academic :
1. Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
2. Experience Certificates.
3. At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed.
However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
Non Academic :
1. Competitive tax-free salary.
2. Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
3. Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
4. Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
5. Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
6. End-of-contract indemnity.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.