Job Summary and Purpose
Responsible for ensuring that the LNG, LPG and Sulphur ships are managed in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with standards and industry best practices.
Strategic Accountabilities :
1. Contribute to the formulation of the divisional strategy in alignment with Nakilat strategy and support its implementation.
2. Participate in translating the divisional strategy into annual operational business plans, and ensure their implementation, as well as follow up their progress, and take corrective actions as needed.
Key Accountabilities :
Vessel Maintenance :
3. Establish and continuously monitor operational standards of ships to ensure delivery of continuous, efficient and safe service to the customer.
4. Provide marine operational expertise and advice with regards to operational matters. Assist with the assessment of operational risks.
5. Ensure that the planned maintenance system is running effectively in the manner prescribed in the Quality and Safety Management System of the company.
6. Represent the organization at meetings and other industry venues and share best practices of the company. Incorporate the best practices of other companies into Nakilat processes.
7. Deputize an incident commander to manage emergencies effectively.
8. Monitor performance of the vessels against charter parties to ensure commercial interests of owners are protected. Prepare defense for performance and off hire claims.
9. Coordinate with STASCO on matters of Technical standards, ship operation and SHEQ related matters.
10. Monitor LNG bespoke developed emergency STS transfer with the third-party service provider in conjunction with the charterers to be able to deploy promptly if required.
11. Provide expertise and advice with regards to all shipping matters. Assist with the assessment of risks.
12. Ensure that all the vessels are inspected on a regular basis and compile reports on the inspection conducted.
13. Ensure all repairs are planned in advance and completed in a timely and satisfactory manner within the operational budget which has been set for the same.
14. Oversee and guide the planning, scheduling, preparing and execution of vessels dry-docking, with an aim to ensure that all repairs are executed as per the planned maintenance system (SMS) and are up to the required quality, cost and timelines.
15. Oversee the management of the ships with regards to H&M and P&I claims, planned maintenance etc.
16. Monitor and record the consumption of fuel and lubrication oil on a daily basis.
17. Manage projects related to ship modifications and retrofits in coordination Fleet Project Engineer and the charterers.
18. Ensure that OCIMF and SIRE records are up to date at all times by liaising with STASCO, joint owners and OCIMF.
19. Assist the Chief Operating Officer-Fleet in updating and reviewing a preferred agency list and in maintaining a database of agents.
20. Identify gaps in training and conduct appropriate training programs as well as monitor their progress in consultation with the operations staff.
21. Organize visits of the senior management to the ships. Show commitment to safety and regulatory compliance.
22. Review reports on all aspects of LNG, LPG and Sulphur loadings at Ras Laffan and unloading at discharge terminals including ship / shore interface efficiency, equipment performance, passage performance, equipment performance, crew and ship operation standards, ship condition etc.
23. Ensure that operational issues related to ships are resolved amicably and quickly.
Standard Operating Procedures :
24. Develop standard operating procedures for the Fleet department with regards to performance monitoring, incident reporting, cost control, ship visits, condition of ships and present them to the Chief Operating Officer -Fleet for review and approval.
25. Oversee the implementation of improvements and standardization of operations, equipment and technical procedures with the aim of improving efficiency and reducing costs.
Generic Accountabilities :
People Leadership :
26. Manage department staff and teams by overseeing their performance management, recruitment, training and development to ensure high levels of engagement and competence.
Change Management :
27. Contribute to managing change in own team by providing inputs for and taking part in change initiatives, programs and projects that are aligned with the best practice.
Quality, Health, Safety, & Environment (QHSE) :
28. Oversee and ensure compliance to all relevant QHSE policies, procedures and controls across Fleet department to ensure that Nakilat provides a safe, world class, secure and environmentally responsible service to customers, the public and its own people.
Budgets and Plans :
29. Prepare the Fleet department budget, and monitor its expenditure, while ensuring the optimal utilization of all available resources to protect Nakilat’s interest.
Systems and Processes :
30. Develop the Technical department policies, procedures and system, and ensure their proper implementation to support achieving the different set targets and plans.
31. Implement the relevant parts of the ship management transition road map for LNG ships from asset managers or joint venture partners to Nakilat.
32. Ensure that technical and operational issues related to ships are resolved amicably and quickly.
33. Ensure compliance with the Fleet Safety Management System.
34. Represent the organization at industry relevant meetings with charterers and joint owners relating to technical and operational matters.
35. Provide technical and operational advice to joint owners and operators when requested.
36. Manage and solve all issues which arise on board the company owned as well as the chartered vessels.
37. Supervise the fleet team in its day to day activities and report same to the Chief Operating Officer -Fleet.
38. Execute and monitor the strategic initiatives of the technical team as per the approved business plan.
39. Work with the SHEQ Division to develop and implement an Integrated Management System for the company and participates actively for continual improvement of the system.
40. Carry out any other duties as directed by the immediate supervisor.
Key Result Areas
Interactions and Working Relationships
Work closely with other members of the fleet division and other departments
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Job Specific Skills :