Chemistry & Earth Sciences Department
College / Department Profile
Qatar University Profile :
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility.
This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
College Profile :
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition.
The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language.
In Fall 2013, CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences.
Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas.
Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million / project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs.
As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-
active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences of Qatar University invites applications for a faculty position with specialty in the area of biochemistry and biomaterials.
The successful applicant will have completed a PhD in chemistry from a recognized university, and will have completed at least two years of postdoctoral experience.
Teaching responsibilities will involve teaching theory and laboratory courses in biochemistry and materials chemistry at all levels, and may include contributing to teaching general chemistry and introductory organic chemistry courses.
Research potential must be demonstrated through an active and recent record of publications in major international journals.
In addition to strong teaching experience at the undergraduate level, the position requires an active researcher able to involve undergraduate students in research projects related to areas of national interest to Qatar, and the ability to attract external research funding.
All courses in the department are taught in English. The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, and must have experience in the development of modern teaching methods involving electronic media and methodologies.
Depending on experience, the appointment may be at the Assistant or Associate Professor level, for a renewable three-year period with a one year probationary period.
1. Current Curriculum Vitea.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed.
However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.