IT Infrastructure and Security Engineer
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) is dedicated to fulfilling Georgetown University’s mission of promoting intellectual, ethical and spiritual understanding through serious and sustained discourse among people of different faiths, cultures, and beliefs. Embodying this spirit of the University, Georgetown’s Qatar campus undertakes education, research, and service in order to advance knowledge and provide students and the community with a holistic educational experience that produces global citizens committed to the service of humankind. We demonstrate the values of Georgetown University; seek to build upon the world-class reputation of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service; and work with our partner, Qatar Foundation, in its endeavors to achieve the Qatar National Vision 2030.
GU-Q is looking for a multi-disciplined person who will be responsible for overseeing the Georgetown University Qatar’s (GU-Q) cyber-security solutions, business systems, Cloud applications, and server/network infrastructure, while developing and operating effective processes across GU-Q’s IT infrastructure.
Note: We are hiring for two positions.
- Respond rapidly and effectively to IT and cyber security incidents;
- Assist in the configuration of network systems, servers, software, data storage, cloud technologies and associated updates;
- Assist in disaster recovery planning and exercises; including backup/recovery procedures and higher availability configurations;
- Assist in the development of secure and compliant IT and business solutions;
- Perform routine operational tasks to ensure the smooth running and effective management of the specialist information systems, Cloud applications, server, telecommunications and network infrastructure and continuously monitor performance;
- Maintain server infrastructure services (hardware – virtualised) and other technologies, such as, SQL, MySQL etc.;
- Conduct technical vulnerability assessments of IT systems and processes;
- Assist with the implementation of counter-measures or mitigating controls to known risks and threats;
- Assists in the adoption of IT security standards and policies at GU-Q;
- Carry out installation and configuration and where appropriate develop systems scripts/programs and software;
- Play an active role in ensuring GU-Q is employing the latest and the most suitable infrastructure technologies to support UIS strategy;
- Liaise with suppliers concerning the resolution of reported faults, future roadmaps and the implementation of vendor updates and products;
- Provide (24/7) support to rectify systems, SAN, telephone and networks faults.
- Write technical and/or managerial reports and work plans, and document systems and processes
- Assist in the planning for the future growth and development of IT infrastructure;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 3+ years of experience in a medium to large, complex IT infrastructure environment;
- Considerable working knowledge of overall IT infrastructure and related technologies and standards;
- Industry leading qualifications within the systems, cloud, security and networks and IT Service Management, such as ITIL, CCNP, Storage Administration, VMware, Microsoft, Information Security, Project Management, CommVault (Data Protection);
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment, willingness to assist in other areas of IT as required.
What We Offer:
GU-Q’s compensation and expatriate benefits package is highly competitive. It includes fully-furnished accommodation, transportation allowance, educational assistance for dependent children, private health insurance and more.
Qatar offers a uniquely diverse, safe and family-friendly environment. Ranked the safest country in the world in 2020, it is connected by direct flights to over 160 destinations in 90 countries. Public parks, beaches, sports facilities, museums, cafes and restaurants abound, and a state-of-the-art metro system connects all parts of Doha and nearby locations.
Qatar has become a hub for regional and global networks in international diplomacy, energy, finance, economics, media, and sports. With this comes a plethora of cultural, intellectual and artistic events and venues – including such iconic buildings as the Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M. Pei or Qatar National Museum by Jean Nouvel.
A modern, thriving country in the heart of the Middle East with an ambitious development vision, it offers a high standard of living, with excellent facilities, modern infrastructure, and a mix of local and cosmopolitan culture. Its central location also makes it the ideal location for exploring Asian, African, and European destinations.
For a glimpse of what it is like to be a part of Georgetown University in Qatar, see: https://youtu.be/HNoERrWln4k
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University in Qatar, you must submit a cover letter and resume/CV for each position of interest. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
Need some assistance with the application process? Contact us at email@example.com.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.