1) Operates power-driven machine, equippedwith movable shovel, to excavate or move coal, dirt, rock, sand,and other materials : Receives written or oral instructions fromsupervisor regarding material to move or excavate.
2) Pushes levers and depresses pedals to move machine, tolower and push shovel into stockpiled material, to lower and digshovel into surface of ground, and to lift, swing, and dumpcontents of shovel into truck, car, or onto conveyor, hopper, orstockpile.
3) Observes markings on ground, handsignals, or grade stakes to remove material, when operating machineat excavation site.
4) May tend miningmachinery, such as pulverizer.
5) May bedesignated according to type of power unit as Diesel-Power-ShovelOperator; Electric-Power-Shovel Operator; Gasoline-Power-ShovelOperator.