DohaThe Assistant Principal (Academic) is directly responsible to the Secondary Principal and isexpected to maintain effective working relationships with all members of the EMS schoolcommunity, including other administrators, teachers, non-teaching staff, students, parents,School Board, and other members of the community at large.
The Assistant Principal will be apositive role model that fosters a positive learning atmosphere by assisting the SecondaryPrincipal to implement efficient and productive day-to-day operations of the school.
The Assistant Principal (Academic) main responsibility is to oversee the school’s curriculum andteaching standards. The Assistant Principal (Academic) is directly responsible to the SecondaryPrincipal and Head of School and is expected to develop instructional techniques andinstructional material, coordinate its implementation with teachers and assess its effectiveness.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS : Professional Training and Certification as outlined in Policy 530.1 Professional StaffQualifications.
minimum Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree in Education preferred)Minimum of 5 years of successful classroom teachingStrong analytical skills to examine student test data and make recommendations forimprovement in curriculum and teachingExtensive knowledge of reading, writing, literacy and math developmentProficient technology skillsStrong leadership and collaboration skillsOutstanding interpersonal skillsStrong oral and written communication skillsCreativity able to think of new ways to engage students.
REPORTS TO : Secondary PrincipalJOB GOALS : To assist the Principal in ensuring the educational welfare of the students.To provide input to the Principal for improving the quality of the educational programs inthe school.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIESAdministration1. Assists the Principal in providing leadership to, and implementing, the total educationaland instructional program (including program review).
2. Assists the Principal in the day-to-day operations of the school.3. Implements the policies outlined in the EMS Policy Handbook.
4. Provides input into the preparation and implementation of the annual budget.5. Assists with the development of the school timetable and supervision schedules.
6. Effectively uses the school’s data management system (iSAMS) to track attendance,behavior and academic performance.7. Effectively uses the school’s data management system (iSAMS) to produce a variety ofreports.
8. Provides input to the preparation of the Student / Parent Handbook, the FacultyHandbook and the New Teacher Orientation Manual.
9. Chairs regular staff meetings for assigned division. This includes agendas and properlystored minutes.10. Assists the Principal in the gathering of data for inventory reports for school supplies,equipment and materials.
11. Assists the Secondary Principal Head of School in the preparation of materials for theaccreditation process.Students1.
Assists the Secondary Principal in ensuring the safety and security of students andothers in the school educational programs and activities (on & off campus).
2. Implements and incorporates the Cambridge Learner Attributes (CLAs) in planning &teaching.3. Ensures that students have the highest quality of education and activities possible.
4. Cooperates with the Assistant Principal (Pastoral) in preparing student assemblies.5. Cooperates with the Assistant Principal (Pastoral) in overseeing the Awards program.
6. Cooperates with the Assistant Principal (Pastoral) in developing school forms such ascourse planning guides, options booklets and curriculum revision guides.
Professional Development1. Attends appropriate and relevant educational workshops, seminars and conferences oncurrent trends, practices and research.
2. Assists the Secondary Principal and Head of School in developing and implementingTeacher Professional Development activities.
Curriculum1. Provides leadership / assistance to teachers in curriculum matters.2. Assists the Secondary Principal Head of School in the ordering of curriculum materialsand textbooks.
3. Maintains awareness of curriculum innovations that surface in areas outside the school.4. Encourages teachers to incorporate a variety of teaching strategies and activities toimplement the philosophy, goals and objectives of the school.
5. Ensures that approved curriculum is taught and that approved materials are being usedfor instruction.6. Ensures that appropriate and accurate reporting procedures are followed.
7. Provides supportive leadership in curriculum review and program implementation.Other1. Assists the Principal in ensuring that accurate reporting procedures are followed(includes proofreading comments).
2. Attends Senior Leadership Team meetings as assigned by the Secondary Principal / Head of School.3. Assists the Secondary Principal in developing relationships to access communityresources and services to supplement the school programs.
4. Facilitates organizational efficiency by promoting and maintaining open communicationsand complying with established lines of authority.
5. Promotes positive student attitudes and mutual respect for all members of the schoolcommunity.6. Assists the Secondary Principal in the planning of meetings for parents.
7. Assists the Principal or Head of School with other tasks / functions as mutually agreed.8. Provides data to the Secondary Principal and Head of School for weekly campus reportsto the Superintendent.
Demonstrate professional competence and vision : 1. Identify needs and make recommendations for appropriate instructional materials andassessments that directly support and align to the Cambridge Standards.
2. Guide staff in ensuring the consistent delivery and coordination of a vertically alignedCambridge Curriculum.3. Collaborate with HOD’s & teachers to identify the instructional needs of students.
4. Model effective teaching practice and delivery of curriculum, including different or newtechnologies.5. Develop procedures for teachers to implement curriculum.
6. Train teachers and other instructional staff in new content or programs.7. Develop and provide materials for teachers, as necessary.
8. Review and recommend textbooks and other educational materials and oversee thedevelopment and of appropriate orders, the reconciliation of those orders to deliveryand the distribution and management of those orders.
9. Evaluate the effectiveness of curriculum delivery.10. Coordinate the delivery of schoolwide assessments from Cambridge.
11. Coordinate the delivery and scoring of Reading and Writing Assessments.12. Assist teachers with the collection and analysis of data in particular Visible Learningstrategies and CEMs testing.
13. Analyze student data and produce reports for senior leadership personnel, makingappropriate recommendations for changes to the instructional program.
14. Work with the Secondary Principal and Head of School to create and implement theschool’s professional development plan.
a. Structure related coaching.b. Identify specific, measurable and attainable benchmarks for teacher and studentimprovement.
c. Promote ESL instructional strategies.d. Facilitate training.15. Participate in the review of planning procedures and documentation.
16. Participate in the continued development of report cards.17. Participate in the report card writing and review process.
18. Collaborate with the Secondary Principal, or designate in drafting report card standards.19. Keep the school community informed about the curriculum and instructional programthrough a variety of means.
20. Support Year Group Leaders & Heads of Department in their development as leaders21. Support in the development of effective collaborative teams.
22. Champion relevant aspects of the teaching and learning section of the strategic plan.23. Assist with other mutually agreed upon tasks as assigned by Secondary Principal orHead of School, or designate.
Communicate effectively : 1. Speak clearly, honestly, and respectfully.2. Give and receive feedback to improve performance.
Demonstrate stewardship : 1. Use all school resources wisely.2. Keep office space clean, neat and tidy.Demonstrate organizational skills : 1.
Establish well defined routines and procedures for accomplishing duties.2. Maintain accurate records for meetings with teachers.
3. Attend all meetings (i.e. staff meetings & parent meetings) consistently and punctually.Build community within and outside the school : 1.
Support administrators, teachers, and support staff.2. Adhere to school policies and guidelines.3. Meet with staff members to listen, learn, and exchange advice for helping students meetthe goals of the school.
4. Model and encourage multiculturalism in an international environment.EVALUATION OF PERFORMANCE : Annually, in accordance with the EMS Evaluation Policy.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENTInitial contracts are for 2 years.Subsequent contracts are for 1 year.205 working days per year.Salary is determined by placement on a salary grid : Salary grid categories follow the guidelines in Policy 530.
1 Professional StaffQualification.Salary grid levels (steps) are determined by equating one year of full timeteaching experience to one step on the grid.
EMS will grant a maximum of Step10 for initial contracts.