Make tailored garments from existing patterns. Alter, repair, or fit made-to-measure or ready-to-wear garments.
Job Duties and Tasks
1) Repairs or replaces defective garment parts, such as pockets, pocket flaps, and linings.
2) Presses garment, using hand iron or pressing machine.
3) Records required alterations and instructions.
4) Inserts or eliminates padding in shoulders while maintaining drape and proportions of garment.
5) Removes stitches from garment, using ripper or razor blade.
6) Studies garment on customer and measures pieces, such as sleeves, pants, and hems, using tape measure.
7) Fits garment on customer to determine required alterations.
8) Shortens or lengthens garment parts, such as sleeves or legs.
9) Expands or narrows garment parts, such as waist or chest.
10) Raises or lowers garment parts, such as collars or lapels.
11) Examines tag on garment to ascertain necessary alterations.
12) Resews garment, using needle and thread or sewing machine.
13) Pins altering folds or marks on cloth at seams, darts, or necklines to indicate alterations to be made.
14) Measures and marks alteration lines.
Must have at least 2 yrs of experience
Demonstrated experience in the manufacture / alteration of gowns and suits.
Excellent tailoring skills, including both hand and machine techniques.
Basic crew management skills including, but not limited to : time management, work flow, and interpersonal communication.
Good organizational skills.